PowerToys has received another update, with version 0.75.0 bringing a new utility and a handy dashboard home page for settings.
- PowerToys version 0.75.0 is now available and offers new user interface changes and functionality that will please users who want to customize their operating system to increase productivity.
- The three main features of this release include an environment variable editor with profiles, a new dashboard home page in the configuration utility, and a preview in the Peek toy for File Explorer.
- Other improvements in this update include bug fixes and usability improvements for various utilities such as Color Picker, FancyZones, File Explorer plugins, Image Resizer, and more.
PowerToys is one of the most useful Windows utilities that exist, especially if you’re looking to customize your operating system in a bid to increase productivity. The open source tool receive updates regularly community-led and managed by Microsoft. Today, version 0.75 of the software is available with several UI changes and new functionality that will likely please many PowerToys users.
There are three main features in PowerToys version 0.75.0. The first is an environment variable editor with profiles that can be enabled or disabled. Second, the setup utility has a new dashboard home page that contains options to quickly enable installed toys, along with descriptions of each. Finally, a preview has been added to the Peek toy so that the File Explorer previewer can preview supported file types, such as Microsoft Office content.
There are also many other improvements, including usability improvements for Color Picker and bug fixes for FancyZones, File Explorer plugins, and Image Resizer. Microsoft has also noted that Keyboard Manager will be disabled by default on new installations, as it requires manual user intervention to configure it. You can see the full changelog below:
- Many typo fixes throughout the projects and documentation. Thank you @brianteeman!
- Refactored and improved logic in all utilities to bring a window to the foreground after activation.
- After activating Color Picker, it is now possible to cancel the session by clicking the right mouse button. Thank you @fredso90!
- Added a new utility: an environment variable editor that has the functionality of configuring profiles that can be enabled/disabled. Thank you @niels9001 Here’s to the design and UI work that made this possible!
- Displayed in the title bar if you are running as administrator. Thank you @davidegiacometti!
- Fixed an issue that caused context menu pop-ups in some apps to automatically wrap to a zone. (This was a hotfix for 0.74)
- Applied the fix for context menu popups to the logic that decides which windows can be snapped.
- Changed the “Keep windows in their zones” option to include the workspace and enable it by default, fixing an incompatibility with the Copilot flyout.
- Fixed an issue that caused windows to break when moving to a different virtual desktop.
File Explorer Plugins
- Fixed an issue that prevented some SVG files from previewing correctly. (This was a hotfix for 0.74)
- Fixed crash with invalid files in the STL thumbnail generator.
- Added a global GPO rule that applies to all utilities unless overridden. Thank you @htcfreek!
- Added GPO rules to control which PowerToys Run plugins should be enabled/disabled based on policy. Thank you @htcfreek!
- All plugins must provide their plugin ID as a static property in their main method.
Change image size
- Fixed incorrect association of .bmp file in registry. Thank you @meitinger!
- Visually distinguish between the numeric keypad and regular dot characters in the user interface.
- This utility is now disabled by default on new installations, as it requires user configuration to affect keyboard behavior.
- Fixed a typo in the Subtraction key on the numeric keypad in the editor.
- Removed lower limit on fade delay and duration, to allow better signaling when double-clicking. Thank you @fredso90!
- The process now runs in the background, to speed up activation time. Thank you @mikeclayton!
- Reported file sizes will now more closely match those reported by File Explorer. Thank you @Deepak-Sangle!
- Added a preview that hosts File Explorer previews to support all file types a machine can currently get. Thank you @dillydylann!
- Fixed an issue that caused the first file preview to not load. Thank you @davidegiacometti!
- Fixed previously viewed video file being displayed when invoking Peek with a new file. Thank you @davidegiacometti!
- Added file format and wrapping options to the Monaco preview. Thank you @davidegiacometti!
Change energy name
- Save the last run data to a different file to avoid conflicts with changing settings in the Settings app.
- Fixed a case where the query was not cleared after invoking a result action via the keyboard. Thank you @davidegiacometti!
- Improved the shell selection option for Windows Terminal in the Shell plugin and improved the backend code to add combo box options to plugins. Thank you @htcfreek!
- The implementation of combo box items has changed and is not backward compatible. (Old plugins will not crash, but the combo box settings are no longer displayed in the settings UI.)
- Added Unix time in milliseconds, fixed negative Unix time entry, and improved error messages in the TimeDate plugin. Thank you @htcfreek!
- The PowerToys plugin allows you to call the new Environment Variables utility. Thank you @davidegiacometti!
- Refactored and added support to the VSCodium Stable, VSCodium Insider, and Remote Tunnels workspaces. Thank you @eternalphane!
- Fixed characters being removed from “All Languages” because they were not in any language. (This was a hotfix for 0.74)
- Added Asturian characters to the Spanish character set. Thank you @blakestack!
- Added Greek characters with tones. Thank you @PesBandi!
- Fixed a parsing error that crashed the app. (This was a hotfix for 0.74)
- Fixed opening file names with non-ASCII characters. Thank you @randyrants!
- Fixed incorrect parsing when the file contained a mapping with spaces around the equal sign. Thank you @randyrants!
- Fixed key traversal issues when a key was a substring of a parent key. Thank you @randyrants!
- Fixed update notification toast to show a Unicode arrow. Thank you @ElJoeFin!
- Added a new Dashboard home page, with quick access to enable modules, short descriptions and activation methods. Thank you @niels9001 Here’s to the design and UI work that made this possible!
- Fixed a typo on the Hosts File Editor page. Thank you @Deepak-Sangle!
- Added a lock icon to the dropdown list of all modules when their enabled state is controlled by a policy.
- The “All Apps” list in the side menu will now list all apps even if their enabled status is controlled by policy.
Mute video conference
- Added an option to allow the toolbar to be hidden after a while. Thank you @quyenvsp!
- Added an option to select mute or unmute on startup. Thank you @quyenvsp!
- Fixed an issue that caused a cascade of mute triggers/unmute triggers.
- Updated the Group Policy documentation on learn.microsoft.com, removed the Group Policy documentation from the repository and linked to the documentation published on learn.microsoft.com.
- Added project dependencies to project version and headers to prevent build errors. Thank you @johnterickson!
- Enabled Control Flow Guard in C++ projects. Thank you @DHowett!
- Changed the release process to the 1ES governed template. Thank you @DHowett!
- XAML files were designed and a XAML style checker was added to the solution, with a CI action to check if the code provided is compatible. Thank you @davidegiacometti!
- Redundant midl file warnings suppressed in PowerRename.
- Add unit tests to FancyZones Editor. Thank you @garv5014, @andrewbengordon and @Cwighty!
- Improved the internal structure of default layouts in FancyZones Editor. Thank you @garv5014!
- Fixed code issues to allow compilation in Visual Studio 17.8 Preview 4.